Theodore P. Mahne, NOLA.com/The Times-Picayune: In her landmark and poetic play, A Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry focuses on the idea that a dream deferred becomes a heavy load over time. In his play Dying City, Christopher Shinn cuts deeper, creating a harsher poetry for harsher times, as he explores the weighty effects of an unfulfilled life.
Michael Martin, NOLA Defender: Dying City is about many things (at first I thought 9/11 and the Iraq invasion were mere topical window dressing, but Shinn has ideas of value even about those) but if I were to pick one, I’d say it’s first about the fatal attraction of machismo, in individuals and in nations… this is not a play in which everything will turn out okay if people can just tell each other the hard truth. City is a play in which the ability to hold secrets and sustain lies is all that keeps people going and sorta functional. Dying City is a stone-cold-hearted piece of work.
My “op-ed” from last week’s NYT Opinion app launch party:
Some exciting annoncements recently:
- The Blind Owl in Chicago will be producing The Coming World this August.
- Jackalope Theatre in Chicago announced Four in their upcoming season.
- The Shadowbox in NOLA will host a production of Dying City in July.
- Overseas: a Dying City at Camden Fringe and another at Edinburgh Fringe.
- Ground Up & Rising doing Dying City in Miami this summer.
My interview about Teddy Ferrara for Book Case TV is now online (at 2:00):
A few more things to note as 2013 draws to a close:
- Charles McNulty wrote about Dying City in his year-end “best of” list.
- I wrote about my favorite LGBT movies for the QMovieBlog.
- Four is available on DVD and digitally on Amazon, iTunes, and elsewhere.
- Nice and new positive mentions of Four on the occasion of its DVD release.
- I spoke to the Times about the experience of Four becoming a movie.
- Frederic Collier interviewed me for Book Case TV.
- I interviewed Wendy Macleod for Playscripts.
- FrontiersLA included Rogue Machine’s Dying City on its year-end list.
- Dying City was name-checked in Mike Fischer’s 2013 round up for Jsonline.
- Dave Begel noted Dying City as one of his ’13 favorites for OnMilwaukee.
- I’m included in Methuen’s Guide to Contemporary American Playwrights.
Happy new year!